You have two ears, one on each side of your head. This is how you know which direction a sound is coming from. The ears capture sound vibrations and send them to the brain.
The ear has three parts: the outer ear, the middle ear and the inner ear.
The outer ear is external.
- It captures sound through the pinna.
- The sound travels through the ear canal to the middle ear.
The middle ear is internal.
- The eardrum and three small bones.
- When sound reaches the eardrum, it vibrates.
- The small bones make the sound louder.
The inner ear is inside your head.